The statue known as “Victory” was in the beginning called “Goddess of Liberty". She stood 10 foot tall and was made of
Terracotta. She weighed in at over 2400 lbs. And her pedestal was over 80 feet above the street.
When “Victory” was created she was the largest statue of her kind in the world. She was fired in 3 pieces and her placement
atop the Soldiers Monument was completed on Wed Sept 13, 1870.
On a stormy night in Oct. of 1960 “Victory” was struck by lightening and beheaded. Little is know of her disposition but
today a lone lightening rod replaces her.
The family of Anna and Donald R. Kraft have donated the remaining funds needed to recreate the "Victory" Statue.
The Kraft family
has selected Vincent Tolpo a well known local artist to recreate "Victory".
Contracts with Vincent Tolpo, V&C Tolpo LLC the
artist and Art Casting of Illinois who will cast "Victory" with a planned unveiling in the fall of 2015 have been executed.
Civil War Monument Fund
The new Victory statue was created by Mr. Vincent Tolpo based on photograph's of the original Victory statue. Although
many photo's exist the best we have found appears on the right. Mr. Tolpo spent much time reviewing all of the historic photo's
to create the new Victory.
The photo to the bottom left is of the miniature created by Mr. Tolpo which was submitted to
the Illinois Historic Preservation Association to obtain a review relative to US Historic Monument standards. Since
the Stephenson County Soldiers Monument is a National Historic Monument this approval is necessary.
On January 13, 2015
we received approval of our new Victory.
To the Left is a photo of the casting model in development.
Below is a photo of
creation of Victory in Bronze. All good thinks begin at the bottom and so it is for Victory.